This year I was involved in a focus group that contributed to a research project into how women felt about their careers in academia in the universities of Nottingham and Birmingham, led by Prof Laurie Cohen. The results are available in this powerpoint.
Some of the issues highlighted were:
- the need for mobility to be a successful academic
- successful academics perceived as ruthless and self-protecting
- women given work to do that is more time consuming but less prestigious
- women feel unable to be seen to be incompetent or to turn down opportunities
- the need for sponsorship as well as mentoring.